Outdoor fireplaces are the perfect addition to your backyard. Nothing compares to gathering around a warm, inviting fire with family and friends. An outdoor fireplace gives you the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors year-round in comfort and style.
You’ll love the customization that comes with an outdoor fireplace—make it the focal point of a beautiful outdoor kitchen, or simply set it up as a gathering spot for conversation and relaxation.
To give your backyard a unique touch, customize your fireplace with a brick oven combo so you can enjoy wood-fired pizza!
And the value it adds to your home is a bonus too—houses with a fireplace (indoor and outdoor) went for 13% more than the average in 2021. If you’ve decided that an outdoor fireplace is next on your list of outdoor investments, here’s all you need to know about choosing between a prefabricated outdoor fireplace and a traditional one.
Prefab Outdoor Fireplace 101
A prefabricated outdoor fireplace is a pre-assembled, ready-to-install kit that comes with all the components you need to build your own backyard oasis. The great thing about these kits is that they take less time and money to install—all you have to do is assemble the pieces according to included instructions, and you’re ready to go.
Prefab fireplaces come in a variety of sizes and styles, so you can find the perfect one for your backyard. Plus, they don’t require any major renovations like a traditional fireplace does—just some minor construction work to prepare the area and get it ready for installation.
One con of a prefab outdoor fireplace is that they don’t offer as much customization as a traditional fireplace. Once you’ve submitted your design, you can’t change anything once it’s assembled. With a traditional fireplace, you might be able to tell if something’s not quite right, and then make adjustments.
Traditional Fireplace 101
A traditional fireplace can offer more customization, giving you the ability to make adjustments and tweaks during construction until it suits your taste. This can be especially important for those who want their outdoor space to reflect a certain aesthetic, or who are unsure exactly what they want the end product to look like.
The downside to a traditional fireplace is that it takes more time, effort, and money to install. You’ll need the help of professionals for construction and installation, as well as having all the necessary tools and materials on hand. Alongside that, the scarcity of masonry professionals to build it on-site is a major constraint, and weather delays during the construction phase can really slow down completion.
They have to be assembled in your backyard, which means limited use of your space while the work is being done. They also require a bit of maintenance since the components have to be regularly inspected and replaced as needed.
A Recap of the Differences Between a Prefabricated Outdoor Fireplace and a Traditional One
- Prefabricated outdoor fireplaces are pre-assembled, ready-to-install kits that come with all the components you need to build your own backyard oasis.
- Traditional fireplaces require more time, effort, and money to install and typically involve the help of professionals for construction and installation.
- With a prefab fireplace, there is less customization available after ordering it than with a traditional fireplace.
- Traditional fireplaces offer more customization options during construction which allow for adjustments or tweaks until it suits your desired aesthetic.
- Prefab outdoor fireplaces require minimal construction work to prepare an area for installation while with a traditional fireplace major renovations may be necessary.
- A traditional fireplace requires regular maintenance due to its components needing inspection and replacement as needed whereas no such maintenance is required of a prefab outdoor fireplace once assembled.
Create Your Dream Space With Round Grove Products
No matter which type of outdoor fireplace you choose, there’s no denying that they add character and charm to your backyard. It all depends on your preferences, but if you’re trying to build a fireplace with as little money, time, and effort as possible, a prefabricated outdoor fireplace is the way to go.
For fully customizable and quality-made prefab fireplaces, take a look at the Round Grove Products catalog. All of our kits are affordable and made from the highest-quality materials, so you can design your perfect fireplace. With Round Grove, creating your dream backyard space takes a matter of minutes. Get your quote today!